Wednesday, June 20, 2007

New CA Driving Laws - effective 7/1/07

Not sure if it's just in CA, but all over that this will take into effect, but here's a few things to consider. The Police Dept will be on serious lookout!! Just wanted to make you aware!!!

New Driving Fines for 2007

1. Carpool lane - 1st time $1068.50 starting 7/1/07 (The $271 postedon the highway is old). Don't do it again because 2nd time is going to bedouble. 3rd time triple, and 4th time license suspended.
I see this alot when we're driving in the San Jose/San Francisco area. We don't have car pool lanes around Fresno.

2. Incorrect lane change - $380. Don't cross the lane on solid lines or intersections.
This happens all the time around here, too many people in a hurry and will pass on anything. Very dangerous and stupid on our country roads. Unfortunately, there's never a cop around to bust them when it happens.

3. Block intersection - $485
Too many people trying to get through the intersection during rush hour or conjested times. What people will do just to not sit at a red light.

4. Driving on the shoulder - $450

5. Cell phone use in the construction zone. - Double fine as of 07/01/07. Cell phone use must be "hands free" while driving. (Also see # 9)

6. Passengers over 18 not in their seatbelts - both passengers and drivers get tickets .

7. Speeders can only drive 3 miles above the limit.
Oh, come on!! This one is a bit ridiculous!! 3 miles over?? That's being a bit nit-picky in my opinion. The buffer is usually 5-10 mph over. I think that's good enough.

8. DUI = JAIL (Stays on your driving record for 10 years!)
Yah baby!! They need serious jail time!! And a fine, and counseling, and rehab, and AA. Anything to get them to realize that driving while intoxicated (even a buzz) is dangerous and stupid! This one is a hot-button for me.

9. As of 07/01/07 cell phone use must be "hands free" while driving. Ticket is $285. They will be looking for this like crazy - easy money for police department.
I agree that cell phone use can distract a driver while driving (especially on the freeway) but a fine of $285 is a bit much. I know the police dept will start raking in the money of this one, as just about everyone I pass by coming & going from work is on their cell. Us Californian's can't seem to live without our cell phones. I do put myself in that category as well, but I am not nearly as hooked to my cell as some people are. It is my only way of communication, and is a good tool... but MUST we be on it 24/7??? Believe it or not I even see people at church that have their hands-free ear-pieces in during service. And many of the young people texting during service instead of listening.

10. Ok, I'm adding one more that SHOULD be a law!!
I think there should be a fine for motorcycles that 'share the lane' with cars. This is when a motorcycle driver feels the need to rush past all of the cars in between lanes. I've heard it is actually lawful to do this if the traffic is not moving, but it's dangerous and a pet-peave of mine. I have seen many motorcycles speed past even as we're moving. I can understand if traffic is backed up, and we're all at a standstill but when it's the normal flow of busy traffic, they need to wait like the rest of us. :-) Just my thoughts.

Ok, I've vented. I feel better now! :-)



2 comments:

Wendy Power said...

Oh dear, most of these aren't true.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_california_traffic_laws_2007.htm

I'd love DUI=Jail to be true, as there is simply no excuse. I have a hard time watching Extreme Home Makeover now, after Ty's little escapade.

Wendy Power said...

Let's try that link again. You'll have to cut and paste it in to get rid of the breaks.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/
library/bl_california_traffic_
laws_2007.htm