Wednesday, January 02, 2008

A New Year - New Beginnings

The new year brings many new beginnings for us.
Not only are we new parents but I also am getting to experience the emptyness of going back to work and leaving my precious baby with a sitter.
In our case, the sitter is grandma (my mom) but being away from him all day when I've spent the last 2 1/2 months with him constantly is a bit rough. Today was my first day back at work after being on maternity leave.
I checked on him on my lunch break. He had been cranky that morning but was fine when I got there. He was fighting going to sleep so I rocked him to sleep before I left. He slept the whole afternoon until I went to go pick him up after work.
I thought I'd be a little more emotional but no tears were shed. I did miss my little man but knew he was in very good hands. My parents only live about 5 minutes away from work so I can run over there if there's a problem.
One good thing about going back to work today was that this week is a short week. Yah!! The campus was closed the week between Christmas and New Years so there are a lot of people still on vacation. Because many are still on vacation, the office was pretty quiet. I got caught up on emails and updated my system. I got a little work done this afternoon but it was hard to get motivated. Luckily, the afternoon went by fast.
Me being away from Tyler during the day makes having time with him at night extra special. I know its an adjustment and everything will be fine.

1 comment:

Malia said...

You'll be just fine! And don't mistake a lack of tears as not being emotional.

GMan stayed with his grandfather (DB's dad) when I went back to work, part-time, after he was born. It was such a comfort knowing we was in caring, loving hands while I was away. The biggest benefit was the extra special relationship GMan now has with his Pop!