Monday, December 19, 2005

Oh what a small world

The strangest and neatest thing happened to me yesterday at church.

It was a choir Sunday, and I was there early. First service was going on and I had just gotten back from a Starbucks run after the choir sang in our 1st service. Troy and I were hanging out in the church cafe' with some others from the worship team. The group was talking about Christmas programs and our upcoming Christmas Eve services when this guy (Ben), who was a guest drummer for the morning, was talking about how Pepperdine has a great Christmas program. I thought, "Pepperdine, huh..." I remember my friend, Wendy, that attended Pepperdine raved about them. I mentioned that I was going to Christmas program that night at my old church and knew it would be a great time.

My friend, Tsenia, was performing with the choir there, invited us to go. She's singing?? I wouldn't miss it. I was reluctant to go back to my old stomping grounds, but... I did. I haven't been there since Troy and I got married so I was a bit nervous. My parents came along too, so it helped ease the nervousness.

So, I was telling everyone how there would be awesome acappella music there. As we were all talking, Ben mentioned he was going to a Christmas program also, at his church. When I mentioned the place I would be going was College Church of Christ (my old church), Ben was so shocked. He burst out with, "That's my home church!!" I was like, "Really??" As we talked more, I realized who he was and that I remembred when he was just a wee lad. When I worked in the church office, his mom was a teacher at the on-site Christian school and we would talk quite a bit. She's now the principal there. It's been over 10 years since I was there, so Ben has grown up a lot since then. We found out that we knew a lot of the same people and talked about who all was still there. Ben also commented how there were quite a bit of skilled musicians that attend there, many of which have their own band. Hmmm... a bit ironic I think... that a lot of musicians attend a no-instrument church. We were both trippin' out all day because of what a small world this is. I couldn't wait to go see the program now.

So we went to the program that night, and we saw Ben. I went to say hi to his mom. She didn't recognize me at first, but I think she did once I got closer and told her who I was. (I've changed a lot too since I last saw her - 10+ years older, a 'few' pounds heavier, and my hair is shorter & redder.)

We enjoyed the program and the choir was great! Their choir was right on and sounded so good. The blend was awesome. That's one thing I miss about acappella. I think our choir, allbeit good too, would not be able to handle singing acappella. They are too reliant on music as their guide.

I was a bit jealous though, because their choir is bigger than ours. It's all good though, because we're all praising the Lord!

No comments: