Monday, March 06, 2006

The Joy of Jury Duty!

The first day of jury duty is always the most boring, and the brain-deadening experience. I spent the first 2 hours waiting to see if I was getting called to a trial, or if I got to go home. The California court system has a 1 day/1 trial policy where if I'm not called to a trial on the first day, I'm excused for a year... I was so hoping!!!!!!

I'm sorry to say, I got called to a trial - allbeit one that is to last for 2 weeks. So I go up to the court room, where I listen to questions over & over (& over & over) again - for HOURS!! After lunch, they started again, with the same question with different prospective jurors. All afternoon long, I sit there and listen to these questions and the excuses of those who don't want to serve.

Listening to the 'hardship' of others in the group had, I feel so fortunate that God has blessed me with a good life. Some with multiple reasons as a relative's passing, many children to provide for, are self-employed and can't afford to miss work, and many, many other sob stories!!

So, FINALLY, around 4ish I finally get called up to go through the questioning process... and what does the judge do, she breaks for the afternoon. I sat up there for a whopping 2 minutes! So I have to go back tomorrow, sit and endure the pain of the boring, redundant questioning to see if I'm fit to be a juror.

Let's see how quickly they'll dismiss me tomorrow! :-)

No comments: