Thursday, August 03, 2006

Adventures at Spirit West Coast - Day 1

The first day of the largest West coast music festival was a raving success and boy, am I tired. For the 6th year in a row, Troy and I set out to Monterey, CA for the 10th annual Spirit West Coast festival. In plain terms, it's kinda like a Christian music Woodstock - three days of camping, concerts and wonderful speakers - all with a Christian message!

We worked the K-LOVE/Air-1 booth again this year. We're getting to be regulars and pretty well known by the 'higher ups' and the air personalities. We enjoy the ministry and I especially love talking to people that come by the booth

Day No. 1 began with us opening the booth at 8:30 am. Troy set up the sound stuff and I got the merchandise ready to fly off the tables. (ok, not literally fly... but they were being sold off quick.) We had to work double shifts today because since it's Thursday, we were short on volunteer staff. That meant we were working and on our feet until 4 pm with a short break to eat something. It was chilly at first today, but it warmed up. I got a little dehydrated so I was drinking a lot of water to get back my energy level. (Coffee helped with that too!!) :-)

I got to see a brand new artist, and got to talk with him a little bit. His name is Aaron Shust and he's new in Christian music with the popular 'My Savior, My God' that can be heard all over the nation on K-LOVE radio. (Ok, I know that's a shameless plug but it's an awesome radio station and I think more people need to be exposed to great Christian music!) Tonight, Casting Crowns will be playing (in about a 1/2 hour) and I look forward to hearing them... if I can stay awake that long.

Because Troy does not 'camp', we're staying at his parent's beach house in Santa Cruz, which is about 45 minutes away. We should leave soon because tomorrow will be another long day. We don't have to be here quite as early but it makes for easier parking, and we have the late shift tomorrow night.

At the moment, I am sitting in a back 'break room' at the booth, in the middle of Laguna Seca raceway with the wonderful technology of a wireless network! I was able to work on my homework for school, check emails and post of blog to all my adoring fans (ok, not that many 'fans' actually read this). I love technology!! And I'm so glad that I'm married to such a tech geek that has to bring his laptop, and wireless card to a music festival. :-)

Peace out from a chilly Laguna Seca. I'll write more on my wonderful adventures at SWC tomorrow.

No comments: