Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Don't know what you got til it's gone.... :-(

SO, I learned first hand that that statement is soooo true! Especially when it comes to technology. Most importantly, my cell phone. Being that a cell phone is my only lifeline to the world since we got rid of our home phone a few years ago, I feel so lost without it. Here's the story.....

I took the day off on Monday to go to San Francisco with my mother-in-law. (Yes, I voluntarily spent the day with my mother-in-law!) :-) The day was spent well until on our way home. We stopped in the town, Los Banos, which is half way between S.F. and Fresno. There's a strip of the highway that goes right through town. We stopped to take a quick potty break at a nearby gas station. I had just talked with Troy a few minutes before we stopped so I had my phone then. When we got to the other side of Los Banos I realized I didn't have my phone anymore. We tried calling it and couldn't hear it rining in the car. We knew something was wrong.

So we turned around and went back to the gas station to check for my phone. It hadn't been but 15 minutes, and the phone was gone. The attendants hadn't seen it and it was nowhere to be found. We got back in the car and started driving home. I was distraught with worry about where I could have dropped my phone. I called Troy and told him to have Cingular (our cell provider) and have them suspend service on the phone temporarily. Within minutes, it wasn't taking any phone calls. That's good service!

So, I didn't sleep very much and worrying about the phone and all my 'life-lines' that I have in there. Since I have no home phone, my cell is my only connection to a lot of people. I cried and prayed myself to little sleep and was very quiet Tuesday morning when I returned to work.

Troy was running errands Tuesday morning and stopped by the Cingular store to get me a new phone. I needed a replacement since (1) I had bible study that night and expected phone calls from the girls involved; and (2) we were going to be out of town at our yearly music festival in Monterey so I needed to have communication ability. While he was browsing around the store, he gets a call from the Cingular shop in Los Banos telling him that a nice gentlemen had brought in my lost phone. He then made arrangements for me to pick it up, and then proceeded to call me to let me know.

Oh, PRAISE GOD!! HE DOES ANSWER PRAYERS!! When I got that phone call from Troy that they had my phone, my mood went from bummed to extatic! I drove all the way back to Los Banos (an hour away) after work on Tuesday to go get it, and drove immediately back to Fresno for my bible study. It was a long trip but I had my phone back, not to mention my phone numbers!

I've tried to call the nice gentleman who turned in my phone but haven't gotten a hold of him.
This experience taught me that God still answers the prayers of His children, and there are still some good, right-doing citizens in California.

No comments: