Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Back from SLC

I made it back from Salt Lake City fine and very tired. It was a very interesting experience.
The conference was very informative and I brought back a lot of info on how to improve our database and the security of the information we handle.

While I was there, me and one of the guys took a tour of the Temple Courtyard, which includes the tabernacle (where the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings) and their very huge convention center. Yes, the mormon's have their own convention center! The tabernacle was very catholic church-like and had a huge pipe organ behind the choir loft. The convention center was HUGE and was constructed so that wherever someone sits in there, it's a good seat and not obstructed. Huge is actually an understatement for how big this thing is. It also features a stage with choir loft and a big pipe organ. It's very unique as it has a park on the roof. Although the grass was a little brown and the flowers weren't in bloom, it was cool to see and from pictures I saw, it's gorgeous when in season. Of course, we couldn't go into the temple, as it is reserved for LDS only and there was a wedding going on that day.

Trying to stay respectful to the tour guides and their beliefs, I kept my mouth shut about debating my beliefs vs. theirs. I'm knowledgeable but not nearly qualified enough to disprove their strong beliefs. Although we couldn't help but discuss the obvious misinterpretations on the way back to the hotel. Out of curiousity, I did ask one of the very nice tour guides if they believe in the holiness of the Bible as well as their Book of Mormon, why is it that they don't carry the Bible along with their 'other book'. I noticed that all the missionaries that work at the courtyard, and do the tours, held snugly to their B.O.M.

I took lots of pictures, although they were on my phone (I forgot to take my digital on the tour). I'll download them soon and post them.

No comments: