Saturday, August 04, 2007

Spirit West Coast 2007

Another year, another music festival is just about over. On the last day of Spirit West Coast 2007 (SWC) in Monterey, I finally am able to sit down and reflect on my time here. It's been a busy week and boy, am I tired.

To sum up the fun:

Wednesday: We left Wednesday afternoon and drove to Santa Cruz (from Fresno) which is about a 2 1/2 hour drive. We stayed in Santa Cruz, since we have a rent-free vacation house there compliments of Troy's family. :-) Troy, myself and our friend Larrin kicked back with a pleasant evening at the house before starting our long day on Thursday. We grabbed some pizza, I worked on some homework and enjoyed the time together.



Thursday: We started our day early by having to get up at 6 am to get ready and head to Monterey. Of course, coffee was an absolute NEED!! Don't worry, mine was decaf. :-) We started our shift at the KLOVE/Air 1 booth at 9 and once the gates were open, hords of people from every direction kept running past, trying to find the best plae to plop their 'territory' for the day's concerts on the main stage. We had a lot of people stop by the booth, signing up for our contests and playing that dance revolution game that is all the crace with kids nowadays. One catch with this game though - they danced to Christian music. It was pretty cool. I might see if I can get that program for the house. No better way to dance off all the baby pounds but to dance to the best kind of music every written.

After our shift at the booth, we walked around alot, just checking things out. My body is definately telling me that I can't do all I used to do. Tyler takes a lot of out me - more then I thought he would. I guess this is just the beginning. I'm not letting him stop me from serving in my God-callen ministry though. In fact, next year, I'll be toting a 9-month old around, while I work. He will become very well accustomed to what mom & dad do, and will learn to love Christian music and love ministry as much as we do. We stayed until about 10ish that night then went back to the house. I was exhausted and my legs and feet were so sore.



Friday: Another long day, although we did get to sleep in a little bit. We got to SWC about 11:30 that morning in anxious anticipation of seeing my ultimate favorite band BarlowGirl and their wonderful family. We've become friends with them the last few years, since they did a concert in Fresno and Troy and I went above and beyond to make their stay a great and memorable one. We got to talk with them briefly and break the exciting news about my pregnancy. They were thrilled and excited for us... and I promised that I would call them once Tyler is born to let them know. We wanted to try to hook up with them before they left to catch their plane but wasn't able to. Their schedule while they are here is always so hectic, it's hard to get a moment with them. That' the life of rock stars. :-)

The rest of the afternoon, we did a lot of walking around. I tried to sit still and put my feet up every now and then but it's just too difficult to sit still in this environment. Concerts going on all-day, seeing people we know and visiting with other vendors we see every year. We found a cool vendor that was selling personalized Veggie Tales Cds. We tried it out with Tyler's name and it was very cute. One CD was full of silly songs that are familiar from Veggie Tales videos and the other was a sing-a-along CD with more familiar kids songs that he can learn to sing when he gets older. Knowing us, we'll probably get both. :-)

We had the late shift at the booth so we were on-site until about 11ish. Didn't get back to Santa Cruz until about midnight. I was really starting to feel the sorenes in my legs and my feet so I sat a lot during the shift (which I had permission to do - if I needed to). Traffic through the booth died down once the everyone started making their way to mainstage for the evening headliner concert - Third Day. There was an off-and-on crowd after that so it was an easy shift for me.


I'll post Saturday's review tomorrow, once the day passes and there is more to write about. I'll also post pictures soon.

No comments: